Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Ava's Big Doctor Day

DISCLAIMER: Very long read...

Today Ava had a big day of doctor's appointments: her 3 year check-up and her very first dentist appointment.

First, her vitals:

weight = 35 pounds (90th percentile)
height = 39 inches (90th percentile)
bmi = 60th percentile (according to the doctor, below 85 is good)
blood pressure = 82/54 (normal)

In her pediatician's words, "She is proportionate and perfect!"

This was a big appointment for Ava, as it was her first time she got to wear a cool paper gown, it was the first time she had her blood pressure checked, and no shots.

It was also a big appointment for Mommy, because the pediatrician informed me now is the time to start explaining "stranger danger" and "good touch/bad touch". SERIOUSLY? ALREADY? I totally wasn't expecting to hear that, but I guess the earlier, the better.

I attempted that first talk when we got home. It went pretty well, I guess. Of course, it is difficult to get her to pay total attention to me while I am talking to her about it. Any tips?

Here's our big girl in her paper gown:


***********************************
Next stop? Ava's first dentist appointment. I figured she would do well, as she tends to any time she is at the doctor (or any time she is the center of attention, for that matter). She of course was great - better than I thought. Ava actually was smiling and laughing while the hygienist polished her teeth. She didn't even flinch when they brought out the scraper-thingy.

She got a clean bill of dental health with a "no cavities" report. Ava was presented with a cool new toothbrush, and got to choose a special toy from the prize chest.

Here she is before:



Getting her pearly whites polished:
Her first flossing:

And her reward for being such a good girl? A trip to McDonald's with Mommy for a special lunch:
Great job Ava! Mommy and Daddy are proud of you!!!

No comments: